Sunday 8 January 2012

Books in my week...





My first reading week of the New Year got off to rather a good start with three very different books :





The Drowning GirlThe Drowning Girl by Margaret Leroy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
jaffa's rating 5 paws

This is a cleverly crafted book. The subject of inherited memory is fascinating, and the story of four year old Sylvie who seems to be remembering tragic events of a past life, is both tragic, and heart warming in equal measure.


I really enjoyed it ... Margaret Leroy's books never fail to engage from the opening page.









The Gathering StormThe Gathering Storm by Rachel Hore
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Jaffa's rating 2 paws -jaffa fell asleep through this one

I've been a huge fan of Rachel Hore's books, but this one left me feeling really disappointed, and quite frankly a little bit bored. Whilst acknowledging the skill of the author, the idea of the book is good, but the story just plods along, and it never really sparks interest. I guessed very early on what the twist would be, and found myself skipping large chunks of the narrative in order to get to the end...I'm sure her next book will be back on track.







The Taker (The Taker #1)The Taker by Alma Katsu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dr Luke Findlay is a doctor, and when a young woman shows up in the emergency room of the small provinicial hospital in St Andrews, Maine, he is little prepared for the effect that she will have on his life.

Lanny McIlvrae is unlike anyone Luke has ever met. She tells him a story of love, and betrayal that transcends time and mortality.....and against his judgement Luke becomes drawn into her quest for salvation...

This is an interesting take on the immortality/paranormal genre, as it not only does the immortality bit rather well - it is quite graphic in places, and yet, it's also a fascinating historical look at the early part of the 19th Century in New England... this is a good debut book, and the start of The Taker Trilogy.

I enjoyed this one far more than I expected.

Book Two-The Reckoning is due in June 2012.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.