Sunday 27 May 2012

Review -Stay Close by Harlan Coben


My Thanks to Real Readers for a copy of this book to read and review


Stay Close 

by

Harlan Coben

Stay Close
March 29th 2012 by Orion




My Review 5*****


Promise me you'll stay close © Harlan Coben


Megan is a suburban mother with a secret, Ray is a talented photographer down on his luck, and Jack is a detective who can’t shake off the events of the past. These three characters and their intertwined story form the basis of this cleverly constructed psychological thriller. A local man disappeared seventeen years ago, and when something very similar happens again, it unleashes a whole series of events which would have been better left undisturbed.

This is the first Harlan Coben book I have read, so I can’t compare it to any of his other work, but for me this book worked on several levels. The story gets off to a cracking good start; I wanted to keep turning the pages to find out just a little bit more. There is great attention to detail,  all the characters are finely drawn and believable, and the added inclusion of some psychologically damaged and terrifying individuals adds an interesting touch of menace to a compelling storyline. There is inferred violence which is integral to the success of the plot, but the brutality is never overly graphic, or gratuitous.

Harlan Coben is a master story teller, his writing skill is apparent in the way he carefully choreographs the action, the tension builds slowly, and the ending when it comes is entirely unexpected.

Stay Close is a great stand alone read, and a perfect introduction to the work of this talented author.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors. I especially love his Myron Bolitar series. It seems we like the same types of books. Thanks for keeping up your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments.
      I have yet to try any of the Bolitar series, I hope to get round to it one day soon !

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.