Monday 1 June 2015

Blogger on the Blog....Reflections of a Reader




Bloggers on the blog


My latest feature showcases some of the best of the book blogging community. 

These are the unsung heroes who are constantly on the look out for new and exciting books 

and who give so generously of their time ,energy and expertise.




I am delighted to welcome


Leah


from



Reflections of a Reader





What makes you want to blog about books?

It all started really when I used to post reviews across varying websites. I was eager to have a place to store all my reviews and make it my own. There are so many great bloggers out there and I mainly buy my books through word of mouth, other bloggers reviews and recommendations from friends. I love to blog in the hope that someone also goes on to love a book as much as I did.

What type of book makes you happy?

There is not one particular type of book that makes me happy. What makes me happy is beautiful prose and well drawn characters. I also love unreliable narratives, characters that you actually really don’t like. Perversely, I think these types of characters are more memorable and can be developed further.

Which book have you recommended the most?

I would have to say The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. I was also lucky enough to have been able to give this away on a previous World Book Night. It is a short book that packs such a punch. The writing is beautiful and the story takes place across the course of an evening in a café in Lahore. It is the sort of story where you have to draw your own conclusions as to what happens after the final page turns.

I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson on a regular basis.

 Which is the best book you received as a gift?

I don’t actually remember receiving that many books as gifts which is surprising really. I guess I would say the childhood ones, some of which I still have to this day, Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton, particularly The Magic Faraway Tree series.

Which book has sent a shiver down your spine?

The genre that is most likely to send a shiver down my spine is crime and psychological thrillers. Most recently I had the biggest shiver whilst reading Vendetta by Dreda Say Mitchell. It was an excellent thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat and built and built at a hurtling pace and had an ending that I never would have guessed in all of my days.

How many books do you have, as yet unread, on your book shelves?

Gosh, I really can’t be sure. The last time I checked, around about 600. Probably nearer 800 – 1000 now. It can be a bit tricky, I refuse to use an e-reader and I live in a flat where storage is at a premium. I love it though, the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

Tell me about a book you’ve read more than three times?

Do you know I never read a book more than once; I haven’t done so since I was a child. I am just of the opinion that there are so many wonderful books left to be discovered; I would rather read those than reread something that I already know the outcome of.

What’s your idea of book heaven or book hell?

Book heaven is having a block of uninterrupted reading time, which is rarer for me than you would think. I am a simple creature really. Book hell is something that has only ever happened to me once and that is when you are reading a book and the last page is missing and you don’t realise until you get there – now that is annoying!


Where is your favourite reading place?

In my very comfy armchair, with a big cup of tea on the side. Just under the window with the sun shining in.

What has been your favourite book of the year...so far?

This is a tough question, I have been very lucky so far and have read some wonderful books. If I was pushed I would mention two, The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah, and A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman. If I can only have one, James Hannah slightly edges ahead. Both of the writing styles appealed to me for different reasons and both tackle difficult subjects in a unique and engaging way. Bravo to both authors.



Thanks Josie and Jaffa for inviting me on to your wonderful blog. It has been really fun taking part.







Huge thanks to Leah for giving so generously of her time.

Jaffa and I love visiting your blog

Long may it continue.



~***~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.