Saturday 4 July 2015

Saturday WW1 Poet ...



The songs of the Great War

are

featured this month



Tune:- I want to go home 


I want to go home. I want to go home
I don’t want to go in the trenches no more
Where whizzbangs and shrapnel
They whistle and roar.
Take me over the sea
Where the Alleyman can’t get at me
Oh my! I don’t want to die.
I want to go home.


I want to go home, I want to go home
Coal boxes and shrapnel they whistle and roar
I don’t want to go in the trenches no more
I want to go over the sea
Where the Kaiser can’t shoot bombs at me
Oh my! I don’t want to die
I want to go home.





It must be remembered that these songs were usually sung by the lower ranks to keep up morale.

Whilst some of the sentiments may appear offensive to us, it must be remembered that these were very different times and must be viewed as such.



~***~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.