Monday 17 July 2017

Review ~ Legacy by Bill Mesce, Jr


** Paperback Publication Day **


34741328
Impress Books
17 July 2017


What's it all about...

Dante DiMarchese is a forensic psychologist, an expert in the workings of the criminal mind and the man responsible for putting the Bailey Beach serial killer behind bars. When a soldier home from a tour in Afghanistan is charged with manslaughter, Dante is immediately called on to help. Meanwhile, the Bailey Beach killer is threatening to smear Dante's name, while Dante's persistent ex-brother-in-law ropes him into an inheritance dispute between a still-living father and his family. In the heart of New York, will Dante's unravel the legacies and lies that others have left behind? Can he contain his own deceptions?


What did I think about it ...


To be honest, it took me a little while to get into this story, but once I had settled to the characters, and into the writer's unique style of presentation, I found that the story started to move along quite decisively, which may have something to do with the fact that the story originally started off its life as a screenplay. Within the story are some wonderfully descriptive passages which I could well image being translated to screen or theatre.

I enjoyed getting to know the central character. Dante DiMarchese is a forensic psychologist who understands the intricacies of criminal psychology, a subject which is as complex and intricate as the story in which he plays an active role. DiMarchese is a complicated protagonist, a multi-layered character who strips away the minutiae of the cases he works on with precise and specific concentration. I’m not sure I liked him over much, but then I guess that what makes reading about the way he operates so interesting.

I read a great deal of British psychological suspense, so it's always fascinating for me, as a reader, to note the difference in style and presentation between a novel, for example, set in the UK and one set in the US. The noticeable similarities and spotting the differences are what make Legacy all the more enjoyable to read.


Best read with... Dante's chocolate chunk cookies...



Bill Mesce, Jr. is an award-winning author and playwright, as well as a screenwriter.





My thanks to Natalie at Impress Books for my review copy of Legacy




~***~






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.