Sunday 3 December 2017

Sunday WW1 Remembered...



Poems written in 1917


The Dead Kings

by

Francis Ledwidge


All the dead kings came to me

At Rosnaree, where I was dreaming,

A few stars glimmered through the morn,

And down the thorn the dews were streaming.



And every dead king had a story

Of ancient glory, sweetly told.

It was too early for the lark,

But the starry dark had tints of gold.


I listened to the sorrows three

Of that Eire passed into song.

A cock crowed near a hazel croft,

And up aloft dim larks winged strong.


And I, too, told the kings a story

Of later glory, her fourth sorrow:

There was a sound like moving shields

In high green fields and the lowland furrow.


And one said: ‘We who yet are kings

Have heard these things lamenting inly.’

Sweet music flowed from many a bill

And on the hill the morn stood queenly.


And one said: ‘Over is the singing,

And bell bough ringing, whence we come;

With heavy hearts we’ll tread the shadows,

In honey meadows birds are dumb.’


And one said: ‘Since the poets perished

And all they cherished in the way,

Their thoughts unsung, like petal showers

Inflame the hours of blue and grey.’


And one said: ‘A loud tramp of men

We’ll hear again at Rosnaree.’

A bomb burst near me where I lay.

I woke, ’twas day in Picardy.


1917


Francis Edward Ledwidge was an Irish war poet from County Meath in Ireland.

 Sometimes known as the "poet of the blackbirds".

He was killed in action at the Battle of Paschendaele in 1917.



~****~

2 comments:

  1. So lovely, so sad. Thanks Josie. I had not heard of this poet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Susan, it’s really lovely , one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.